Service dog proves to be the perfect sidekick for girl with cerebral palsy

Service dogs are specially bred for the ideal temperament and health needed to work beside and enhance independence for people with disabilities. The specialized dogs respond to more than 40 commands, doing everything from picking up items to opening doors. These essential tasks give individuals the help they need, but one of the greatest contributions …

Continue reading Service dog proves to be the perfect sidekick for girl with cerebral palsy

You can help turn a pet into a partner for the disabled

Whether he’s at home or out running errands, when disabled Army veteran Brian Boone needs help, he knows he can rely on Brindle who is almost always at his side…or rather at his thigh. Brindle isn’t a home health nurse, personal assistant or the latest talking smart phone personality. He’s a highly trained service dog. …

Continue reading You can help turn a pet into a partner for the disabled

Interns with special needs land jobs, thanks to Project SEARCH program

It’s graduation time, which means millions of high school graduates will begin looking for employment out in the real world. But for a handful of students with special needs, they don’t need to worry—they already have a job thanks to Project SEARCH. College Station ISD, in collaboration with Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – College …

Continue reading Interns with special needs land jobs, thanks to Project SEARCH program

Our Children’s House employees inspired by medical missions

Two employees of Our Children’s House at Baylor in Grapevine recently traveled separately to China and Haiti on international missions, thanks to diligent fundraising and the assistance of scholarships. Through the Faith in Action Initiative (FIAI) and the Fred Roach Scholarship, Baylor employees like them are able to assist in international mission work in a variety of fields. …

Continue reading Our Children’s House employees inspired by medical missions

Irving assistance dog training center announcement, graduation revisited [video]

Last month, Baylor Scott & White Health CEO Joel Allison unveiled plans to build the first Texas training center for Canine Companions for Independence, the largest non-profit provider of assistance dogs, in Irving. The new center is to be named Canine Companions for Independence at Baylor Scott & White Health – Kinkeade Campus. The announcement came during …

Continue reading Irving assistance dog training center announcement, graduation revisited [video]

As a Baylor nurse, I support my Presbyterian hospital peers

This post was written by Rae Hannah, RN, who works in the Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas neurosurgery/trauma intensive care unit. She has worked for Baylor for nearly 11 years.  Earlier this month, my colleagues and I were heartbroken to learn that one of our own was now fighting for her life against the Ebola …

Continue reading As a Baylor nurse, I support my Presbyterian hospital peers