Martha Cochran begins 2017 with a sense of gratitude to her Baylor team.
“They saved my life,” she said.
On November 19 while at work, Martha had a severe allergic reaction to a high blood pressure medication. The reaction landed Martha in the hospital at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Carrollton where she works as an OR technician in labor and delivery.
A swelling on Martha’s upper lip was the first warning. She took an OTC allergy medication. The swelling continued to increase — seek medical care now Martha’s co-workers urged her. Martha’s tongue began to swell but Martha still thought she could drive home to Forth Worth to see her doctor.
Her co-workers thought otherwise. Her team sought help from a nearby anesthesiologist who instructed Martha to go to the hospital’s emergency department immediately. By the time, Martha reached the emergency department, she couldn’t talk because her swollen tongue was blocking her airway. The emergency department team assisted by her one of her colleagues and the physician who first identified the allergic reaction, intubated her and put her on a ventilator before she went into the ICU as a patient.
Now back at work, Martha wants to share the gratitude she feels toward her co-workers. Throughout her hospital stay and recovery, Martha received calls, texts, cards and flowers from her co-workers.
“I have been able to achieve optimal health because of the distinguished employees of this organization. I have always known that we provide exceptional care; but now I can honestly say that patient care is nothing less than extraordinary.”
Martha had considered transferring to another Baylor facility closer to her Fort Worth home. Those plans are gone.
“Without the persistence from my labor and delivery family and prompt treatment, I would not exist today,” Martha said.
“The fact that I am here today is a such a testament and it’s a miracle that I was at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Carrollton at the time of my reaction. I know that many lives have been saved here at this hospital, but this life will be forever grateful!”