This Household Cleaning Product Can Be Dangerous for Children Under the Age of 5

laundry-packets

If you’re using the new laundry packets that dissolve quickly into the washing machine, here’s a message you need to share with your kids: Don’t eat it!

That’s because these colorful, squishy packets are poisonous. Even though your kids might think they look like candy or a toy, swallowing these packets could result in a trip to the hospital.

Swallowing traditional laundry detergent (also not recommended) causes a minor upset stomach. But poison control experts say these highly concentrated packets are creating more than just stomach problems.

Children who swallow the packets could suffer from:

  • Excessive vomiting
  • Wheezing
  • Gasping
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Severe breathing problems that require an ventilator

If the packet gets into your child’s eye, it could cause corneal abrasions (scratches to the eye).

Poison centers in the U.S. report that more than 10,000 children, under the age of five, have been exposed to these packets.

So far, the Texas Poison Control Network has received more than 300 calls about children ingesting the contents of these packets. According to the data, 95 percent of the children who were poisoned were between the ages of 0 and 12-years old.

To keep your kids safe, here are a few tips to follow:

  • Consider not buying these laundry packets
  • Follow instructions on the detergent label
  • Keep detergent containers closed and sealed
  • Store detergent on shelves that kids can’t reach
  • Talk to your children about the dangers of swallowing laundry detergent

If you suspect your child has come into contact with laundry detergent, call 1-800-222-1222 immediately.

This blog post was contributed by Jessica Levco, writer and editor of Health Care Communication news.

Leave a Reply

This Household Cleaning Product Can Be Dangerous for Children Under the Age of 5