Summer is a particularly important time for blood donations.
- Because people are out having fun during the summer months, the need for blood significantly increases due to traumatic accidents.
- At the same time, more adults and students are on the go in the summertime — family vacations, mission trips, summer jobs, volunteering — so they are not donating blood on a regular schedule.
These two factors explain why blood centers everywhere, including the Scott & White Blood Center, struggle to keep up with the need for blood.
And that’s why it’s even more important that you donate blood.
World Blood Donor Day 2010
In recognition of World Blood Donor Day on Monday, June 14, we thank our blood donors who make the commitment to help save lives and improve the health of others in our community by donating blood. This day also encourages more people to become voluntary blood donors and will underline the importance of regular blood donation to prevent blood shortages.
The annual event focuses on motivating more people to become blood donors. It demonstrates how health systems and policy-makers work to make blood transfusions safe and accessible to people worldwide.
The focus of World Blood Donor Day 2010 will be on young donors, with the slogan: “New blood for the world.” Young people can make an important contribution by donating blood and by recruiting other young people to become donors.
Blood Donated at Scott & White Stays in Central Texas
Scott & White Blood Center is the only completely local blood center in Central Texas. Only Scott & White ensures all donations remain in our community to directly benefit our friends and neighbors. We never ship our blood donations outside Central Texas as other blood centers often do.
Scott & White also has the only Level 1 Trauma Center between Dallas and Austin. The blood donated at Scott & White is used for medical emergencies, treatments and surgeries at our medical facilities.
Becoming a Blood Donor
There is no maximum age limit to donate blood, but you must be at least 17 years of age, weigh at least 110 lbs. and have photo-ID. You can donate blood every 56 days.
Scott & White Blood Center provides convenient opportunities for you to donate in your community or at the Memorial Hospital in Temple. We have three bloodmobiles that routinely provide drives all around Central Texas – from Round Rock to College Station to Killeen to Marble Falls to Waco and beyond.
You can also stop by the Blood Center on our main campus in Temple, TX. We are located in Room 115 across from the McLane Dining Room on first floor. (Floor map ) Our hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and appointments can be made by calling 254-724-4376. Walk-ins are always welcome.
When donating at the Scott & White Blood Center, all blood donors can take advantage of our FREE valet parking.
June 2010 Blood Drive Promotions
- Donate blood in June and get a free Texas t-shirt, star-shaped magnetic refrigerator clip, a half dozen Shipley Donuts, plus a chance to win a pair of tickets to Volente Beach Waterpark in Austin.
- Are you a brownie lover? Join us for a special blood drive at the donor center Friday, June 11th from noon to 3 p.m. All donors will be served a great chocolate brownie dessert with all the fixings!
- Here’s your chance to help your community and enter to win a free Lane recliner from Lack’s Furniture. Just donate blood at our bloodmobile on Saturday, June 12th at Lack’s Furniture in Killeen from noon to 4 p.m. Lack’s is located at 1001 South Fort Hood St.
By Regina Phinney, Manager, Donor Recruitment, Scott & White Blood Donor Center