Tomorrow is moving day in Waxahachie.
The new $175 million Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Waxahachie opens on Saturday, when dozens of patients will be transferred from the long-time location at 1405 West Jefferson Street to the new hospital along Interstate 35E near U.S. Highway 287. The facility can be located at 2400 N. Interstate 35E.
It is the first new hospital to be built under the Baylor Scott & White name and will feature 104 beds, a dedicated cancer center and expanded women’s health services, including labor and delivery.
Hospital President Chris York recently talked to The Waxahachie Daily Light about how the transition is expected to unfold.
“At 7 a.m., we are going to turn the new hospital fully on,” York said. “Our goal is to have all our patients to be transferred by noon that day. We have 12 ambulances lined up and anticipate that each run should last around 15 minutes.”
York told the newspaper that patients will have a nurse assigned to them throughout the process. In some cases, he said, family members will be allowed to ride with patients in the ambulance.
The hospital went through a practice move on Monday, during which employees played the role of patients. CBS 11 News covered that dress rehearsal exclusively. Watch that full story below.
The women’s health center includes:
- Comfortable private labor and delivery suites, each equipped with a flat-screen television and sofa
- 24-hour neonatal nurse practitioner coverage to care for infants who may need advanced care
- Fetal surveillance system to monitor babies before they are born
- Two surgical suites for Cesarean births (C-sections)
- Nursing staff specially trained to assist mothers with breastfeeding
- Easy access to childbirth, baby care and breastfeeding classes
- Specialty newborn and breastfeeding items available through the gift shop